So you want to whiten your teeth? It’s an economical way to enhance your smile, look younger, and feel more confident when you interact with people in business or social settings.
Here are 5 things Alaska Premier Dental Group recommends when it comes to teeth whitening:
- Meet with your dentist for a consultation first. There are several different teeth whitening systems and a consultation will help you ascertain which treatment plan is best for you.
- It is vital to know that whitening does not affect existing fillings, dental veneers, or crowns.
- During your consultation, decide how many shades lighter you want your teeth to be at the end of the treatment. Depending on the whitening protocol chosen, your teeth can be enhanced three to eight shades. An in-office procedure achieves a degree of lightening that cannot be achieved with an OTC product. During your treatment, your dentist may apply a coating to protect your gums and roots while the bleaching agent is applied.
- An alternative protocol is to have your dentist customize a take-home kit for you. Make sure you follow the instructions accurately. First, molds are made from your upper and lower arch. Then the lab creates trays to hold the bleach. While this treatment plan may take longer, it is more cost-effective and more convenient for many patients. Teeth whitening results from either procedure can last from six months to two years.
- With any of the teeth whitening systems, tooth sensitivity may transpire. In most cases, it won’t last for more than a day or so. Call Alaska Premier Dental Group if it lasts longer.
Alaska Premier Dental Group offers general, restorative, and cosmetic dental services including family dentistry, cosmetic dentistry, dental implants, and sedation dentistry. At Alaska Premier Dental Group, quality care and a comfortable patient experience are our top priorities.