Braces can be tough to clean. Food bits get stuck in them, and they create many other hidden pockets for food and bacteria. Here are five tips for keeping your teeth clean with braces.
- Brush more often. The usual twice-a-day routine isn’t always enough with braces – to keep your teeth food and therefore bacteria free, brush after every meal. Consider having more than one toothbrush – one for your home and one for your backpack – so that it’s convenient to brush whenever and wherever you are.
- Use a floss threader. It can be difficult to get floss through the wires of your braces, so if you’re having difficulty use a threader. A product called Superfloss is a threader-and-floss string all in one, and can make it even easier for you. Additionally, waxed floss glides around teeth and braces much easier than unwaxed.
- Rinse with mouthwash. Again, because your braces can trap more food and bacteria, you should use a fluoride mouthwash to reach spaces that your toothbrush or floss might have a difficult time getting to.
- Use utensils. Cutting up food and then using a fork to eat it is much better for your braces than biting in to food items such as apples and bagels. You should also avoid sticky foods such as caramel, toffee, and beef jerky.
- Get your teeth cleaned regularly. It’s more important than ever to keep up with regular checkups and cleanings. A dentist can give you a real deep cleaning, which will supplement your own.
If you have any questions, be sure to contact us at our Anchorage or Wasilla office! https://www.smilealaska.com